Ladders and scaffolding are technical devices that are called machines – this is defined, among other things, by the Ordinance of the Minister of Economy of October 30, 2002 on minimum requirements for occupational safety and health in the use of machinery by employees at work.
Therefore, the employer has a duty to ensure that ladders, stepladders or scaffolding are regularly inspected, so that their use does not lead to a deterioration in the safety and health of employees.
How often are such inspections carried out?
Machines such as ladders, stepladders and mobile scaffolding should be inspected at least once a year. However, it is largely the intensity of their use that matters. This is stated in legal acts:
- REGULATION OF THE MINISTER OF ECONOMY of October 30, 2002 on the minimum requirements for occupational safety and health in the use of machinery by employees during work (Journal of Laws No. 191, item 1596, as amended).
- REGULATION OF THE MINISTER OF ECONOMY of September 26, 1997 on general occupational health and safety regulations (Journal of Laws of 2003, No. 169, Item 1650, as amended).
Who can perform the inspection?
Inspection should be carried out by a person who has the appropriate qualifications, knowledge and experience.
- is able to identify existing defects,
- is familiar with the recommendations and instructions of the ladder manufacturer,
- is authorized by the employer to make decisions regarding the withdrawal or release for further operation.
Our qualified staff will inspect ladders at your company. The person performing regular inspections is authorized to conduct periodic inspections of stepladders, ladders and mobile scaffolds.
As part of the review:
- we inspect the technical condition of ladders, stepladders or scaffolding,
- we inspect the comprehensiveness and efficiency of safety solutions,
- we inspect the comprehensiveness of markings and drawings,
- We mark “machines” with inspection stickers, so-called “seals”,
- We report the need for repair or replacement,
- We draw up an inspection report, which at the same time is an inventory list of ladders / scaffolding,
- We make minor repairs to ladders/scaffolds.